Welcome to the Dune Special Edition Project

This is a project I have been slowly working on over the last few years with the goal of ultimately replacing many of the "outdated" special effects shots in David Lynch's 1984 version of Dune.
The project initially began as an endeavor to build a "proper" ornithopter - one with flapping wings, that neither the movie or the mini-series managed to achieve. However, with the advent of the "fan-edit" the scope of the project has expanded with the goal of updating the effects in all those places in the movie where I feel things could be significantly "improved."
Although I am currently working on this by Myself, it's a large undertaking and if there is anyone interested in helping this project along, feel free to contact Me - We might actually be able to get this project completed with a few more skilled and enthusiastic people!

Regards
Sasha Burrow

If you are curious about My professional work, I have been working as a VFX artist (Among other things) at The Asylum for the past 6 years, including visual effects on all 4 Sharknado films (Mainly stuff blowing up!).
CLICK THE LINK TO SEE MY CURRENT SHOW-REEL

DUNE Special Edition: Showreel March 2010

Friday, October 16, 2009

"It is by will alone I set my mind in motion..."


 
(Click on images to see larger version)


The introduction to Giedi Prime is another example of a scene where I think it could work just a bit better composition wise... I love the design of everything - very gothic/industrial, but the shots as edited in the theatrical edition are somewhat confusing and it really is incredibly dark... So I've built a model of the Harkonnen tram and have started work on the enormous "oil burners" - the giant cherub faces that spew black smoke, though I only have a few reference photos of them. Going to have to make up some of the detail there. The script describes this part of the surface of the planet as an ocean of black oil, so I think My general intention is just to set the scene a little better and give the audience a real sense of what this place is like. Eventually, I hope to make a lo-res Piter De Vries model to go in the tram, so you can see him in there.
Also need to model Harko City and possibly the landing pad from where Piter is coming (I imagine that the landing pads are far away across the ocean of oil to prevent the escape of an of the slave labor).

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really nice, I loved all the stuff on Giedi Prime in the movie !!! Keep up the superb work !! Love that face burner too !!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I had the blueprints for the oil burner... I really am not sure what most of the structure looks like. I am hoping to have a whole line of them that the tram will go past on its way from the landing platform to Harko City.... sort of like the movie, only clearer... I don't feel that scene works effects wise until the tram is inside the city. Then its a damn cool shot with all those rooms and things.

    ReplyDelete